Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Days 4 and 5: Jamaica

First things first, I've had several requests to see pictures of the Peniche so I've done my best to take a few pictures.  I don't have interior pictures to share yet, but I walked across the Bir Hakeim Bridge the other day and found that I had a perfect view of Adriana at the foot of the Eiffel Tower.  Definitely something amazing to see!  More pictures will follow as soon as I get my act together.


Adriana


And here are a few pictures from the sidewalk walking up to the peniche!




Day 4 was Monday January 10 and we watched a demo on how to make a cake called a Jamaica.  Day 5 was Thursday January 13 and the practical class when we finally made our own cake.  I guess it is called Jamaica because it is made from tropical fruits, but other than that I'm not really sure.  The base layer and sides of this cake were a Joconde biscuit sponge.  It was a chocolate based batter that we sprinkled with finely chopped pistachios, almonds, and coconut.  We baked the batter flat on a cookie sheet like a texas sheet cake and when it had cooled we cut out shapes to assemble the cake.  We cut a circle for the base and a long rectangle that we wrapped around the circle to create sides for the cake.  The assembly was similar to the Pear Charlotte I made in basic pastry.

The first layer inside the cake was a coconut mousse made from milk, coconut milk, and whipped cream.  The second layer was chunks of fresh pineapple soaked in simple syrup and rum. The third layer was a mango-passionfruit mousse made from mango puree, passionfruit puree, whipped cream, and italian meringue.  Each time we added a layer we put the cake in the freezer to firm up the cream so that the layers wouldn't run together.  The last step was to decorate and glaze the cake.  This cake can also be decorated like the raspberry and passionfruit tart, but is traditionally topped with a pineapple ring embedded in the top of the mango-passionfruit mousse.




Nothing about this cake sounded very appetizing to me as I'm not a huge fan of coconut and I generally like my pineapple fresh (or soaked with Stoli), but I was surprised to find that this cake was delicious!  It was very light and all of the flavors really complemented each other.  The chocolate sponge crust was subtle and really held the whole thing together well.  I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely make this again.

Until next time Au Revoir and Bon Appetit!

5 comments:

  1. Where are the life boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    -Jacques

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did they put any special green herbs in the Jamaican cake? And was the whole class in stitches (I've been waiting to use that word) after tasting it?! Just trying to help you figure out why they call it that - yeah mon!
    It looks great and I love the Peniche. I will make room in my bag to pack a life vest to sleep in when I'm visiting. :)
    Glad the blog is back!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited that the blog is back, and that it's expanding to include your travails in Paris!...Totally random but Guster is in town for a concert soon in Boston and I immediately thought of you. Remember the tutorial you gave me of all their songs and the ping pong balls frosh year? Still my fave concert ever...Anyway, miss you tons! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. you do have life preservers right? And not little tiny ones-you and I have big heads!! The tarts look fabulous and yummy! I promise I'll email our flights when we get them-Tay is so excited about our trip. Hope we get to come watch a class too. Miss you and working out hard so I can eat and drink a ton over there!!! SJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous place to hang your beret! I am so excited for you and not being so busy with class is not a bad thing! I hope you survive these next two months of cold weather and have time in the spring to enjoy Paris. Enjoy the boating life!!!

    ReplyDelete