Thursday, January 27, 2011

Days 6 and 7: Strawberry Shortcake

Back to the kitchen!  We learned how to make a cake called a Fraisier.  The French word for strawberry is fraise.  It is similar to an american strawberry shortcake, but lighter and creamier and just much tastier.  The fancy factor of the Fraisier is seeing the sliced strawberries inside the cake on the outside edge which is achieved by tedious effort when layering the cake.  I took pictures of the Chef's Fraisier as he was assembling it.

The first layer was a light yellow spongecake that was once again baked flat on a cookie sheet.  It was placed in the mold and had a ring of cream piped around it.  The second step was to line the edge of the mold with strawberries that were cut in half.  The third step was to pipe cream in between the strawberries to hold them tight against the edge of the mold.

Step 3, Step 1, Step 2

After piping the cream in between the strawberries we went around and smoothed the cream up to the edge of the mold filling in any and all cracks.  The fifth step was to pipe a spiral of cream on top of the spongecake and the sixth step was to layer halved or quartered strawberries on top of the cream.


Step 4, Step 6, Step 5


After layering the strawberries the next step was to loosely fill in the top of the cake with more cream and then place a top layer of spongecake on top like a lid.  You push down the "lid" of the cake to firmly seal it up and then cover the cake with a very thin layer of cream almost like a crumbcoat and put it in the freezer to set.

Step 7, Step 8, Step 9


When the cakes had set we finished them with decorations of marshmallowy italian meringue.  We fired the meringue to make it extra tasty like perfectly roasted marshmallows and then decorated with strawberries and ground pistachios.  This could possibly be the BEST cake I've made so far.  I couldn't bring it home with me because I knew I'd end up eating the entire thing!


My Fraisier

All of the cakes in my class.

Until next time Au Revoir and Bon Appetit!

7 comments:

  1. Your strawberry dessert looks yummy,wish I was there to taste it. Received 8 inches of snow yesterday,ugh. Dad left the office at 8:30 and didn't get home until 11:00. We shovelled snow until 1am. Today is sunny and bright...a better day. Keep making your beautil desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That might be my favorite so far! I love the green accent you put on top, it makes your cake totally stick out when its lined up with all the other ones! You are getting so good...I can't believe you made such a magnificent looking cake!!! I can't wait to come back to Paris and taste your delicious treats...hopefully we make it back before you're done.

    I saw Lindy's comment about the snow here...it took me 2 hours 45 minutes to drive home...not fun! If you get anymore cold weather/snow there, watch out for icebergs while you're on your peniche!!! Can't wait to see more pics from your travels and classes!

    Love,

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. who gets to eat all of those cakes when you dont bring them home?? your cake is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the line-up, your cake truly stands out, it's beautiful !! And looks sooooo good (and bet it tastes scrumptious !! That would definitely be one of Brie's favorites !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the castles look fabulous. All the castles I visited in England were dark and dingy and well-yucky! The strawberry cake is amazing-you would put Paula Deen to shame. I am off to Chicago on Friday-even though they got 2 feet of snow. Supposed to go on Thursday but flight got cancelled. Hope I seriously don't freeze. Please let us know how Zermatt was-and any celeb sightings. Although I guess that would be hard with hats and goggles! Miss you but we have begun our count-down to spring break!! Go Packers! JK!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!! My favorite so far!!! How long from start to finish??

    ReplyDelete