Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Days 15 and 16: Heavenly Chocolate

One of my favorite cakes so far was the Douceur Chocolat or Heavenly Chocolate cake.  It had a lot of different elements and turned out to be absolutely delicious!  This also happened to be the cake that I used as a birthday cake for my friend Andrew.

The first layer of the cake was a Hazelnut Dacquoise which is a spongey cake made of meringue, ground nut powder, and powdered sugar.  The second layer was a crispy hazelnut, praline, feuilletine mixture that was kind of like a gooey milk chocolate crunch bar layer.  On top of the crunchy layer was a layer of swirly chocolate mousse, followed by a disk of solid chocolate layered with more swirled mousse and another disk of chocolate.  Yum!

The layers of my Douceur Chocolat

The smooth top layer of my chocolate disk.


After the cake was assembled we decorated the top.  I used a simple swirl of chocolate mousse and triangles of milk chocolate that I'd cut out of my extra chocolate to decorate mine.  The cake sounds like it would have been ultra rich, but it was actually just perfect.  If I end up making my own birthday cake next year this will be on top of my list!

My decorated Douceur Chocolat


Until next time Au Revoir and Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........I'll take one of those !! :) looks scrumptious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just got architecturally "stimulated" looking at this! -kal

    ReplyDelete
  3. both sound soooo good-how was israel?1 See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete