Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 23: Finished!

Saturday was my last official practical class!  We had a demonstration at 8:30am for Alhambra, or chocolate cake, went out to breakfast, and then came back to make the cake in our practical class at 3:30pm.

The Alhambra was baked in a rectangular mold similar to one you might cook banana bread in but a little smaller.  The cake was taken out of the mold, cut, and put back together with thick layers of chocolate ganache in between.  The cake was then decorated with ganache piping, candied violets and flowers made from modeling chocolate.

My Alhambra

A close-up of my rose.
Our group breakfast was equally as exciting as making the cakes.  We went to a restaurant named, and I'm not making this up, Breakfast In America!  It is a diner that serves American specialties from cheeseburgers to eggs and bacon to thick milkshakes.  It is a great place.  We had some of everything on the menu, but my favorite item was the Obama Milkshake consisting of vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, and delicious peanut butter.  It all really hit the spot after all of the pastries and French food we've been eating in general.

Until next time Au Revoir and Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you made that rose out of chocolate - it looks real!!!! Can you make all of these things on Friday please? Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know about the George W. Bush Texas steak!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. I can't believe this is basic pastry. Your work looks AMAZING. So beautiful- you are one talented young lady!! Had a great time catching up and reading these after our trip. I am sorry that I will be missing you when you are home for break!!

    ReplyDelete